Thursday, April 10, 2014

Lawn Fawn + May Arts


Good morning! It's almost Spring Break around these parts, and I'm super duper excited. So I made a spring-y, beach-y card for the Lawn Fawn + May Arts blog hop.



To make the "sea", I used May Arts' 1/5" Silky Crush ribbon in white, and Caran D'Ache Neocolor in Cobalt Blue (I got mine here).



I blended some of the watercolor crayons with water in a container and dipped only the bottom of each ribbon.



The water wicks upward and you'll end up with a nice mottled effect. I added a little more watercolor with each subsequent ribbon. To dry them quickly, I used a heat gun. Please be careful because the gun will melt the ribbon if you are not careful.



Once dry, the color is a lot more subdued. To add more color, re-dip after the ribbon is dry.



I ended up using only two of the ribbons, adhered to the card with a dot runner. The stamp set I used is called Float My Boat. It has a matching die set. The boat is stamped using Colorbox Pigment in Surf, which turned out to match the watercolor crayon quite perfectly. The sails are from my favorite Lawn Fawn paper line ever, Let's Polka. The sentiment, heart and seagulls are all from the boat set. The inks I used are Colorbox Pigment in Mango Tango, Razzberry, and Wild Hare.



Thanks for coming by! Don't forget to visit Lawn Fawn and May Arts blogs and enter to win goodies all week long.

8 comments :

TracyM #6773 April 10, 2014 at 5:26 AM  

FUN & CUTE card Linda - love the design!!!
THANK YOU for sharing how you coloured the ribbon, it looks fabulous with your little boat :)

young April 10, 2014 at 8:05 AM  

Cool technique and cute card. Thanks for sharing!

Trish Molnar April 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM  

Love how the ribbon looks like the ripples in the water! Fabulous card! Thanks for sharing your amazing ideas!!

Alice Carman April 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM  

you are so crafty!

cghundley April 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM  

Wonderful card,
great technique
with the ribbon.
Carla from Utah

Arlene K April 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM  

Beautiful card!! Great idea!!

DoofyJEss2 July 25, 2014 at 6:46 AM  

Great card! Love the water technique!

Lucy E. July 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM  

This is so cool! It looks almost like real water!

Back to TOP